Category: Newspapers

Jack Strelesky’s Taxidermy Shop Damaged by Fire

When Jack Strelesky lived in Sheridan, Wyoming, he ran a taxidermy shop.  On April 6, 1917, fire damaged the shop.  An article discussing the fire ran in the Wyoming State Tribune-Cheyenne State Leader on April 6, 1917.

John J. Strelesky's taxidermy shop damaged by fire

Transcription of article:

Taxidermist’s Shop Damaged By Fire

Sheridan, Wyo., April 6 – Damage to the extent of about a hundred dollars was caused by a fire which started in the loft of the building on East Fourth street, occupied by the taxidermy shop of J.J. Strelesky last night. It was discovered shortly before 9 o’clock and an alarm turned in. The blaze was soon brought under control after the arrival of the department. The principal damage was done to rugs and hides stored in the loft. It is supposed that the fire originated from a spark from the chimney igniting a rug which had been cleaned with gasoline during the day.

Obituary: Sarah (Sanders) Hansing

Sarah Sanders was the sister of my great-great grandfather, Ernest Vincent Sanders.  She was born about 1860 in Galena, Illinois, and died on Christmas Eve 1937 in California. Her obituary was published in the Freeport Journal-Standard on December 31, 1937.

Obituary: Sarah (Sanders) Hansing

Transcription of obituary:

Mrs. Sarah Hansing, Galena

Galena, Ill., Dec. 31 – Funeral services for Mrs. Sara Sanders Hansing, who died in California Christmas eve, were held yesterday afternoon at 4 o’clock in the Uehren and Furlong funeral chapel. The Rev. T.J.F. Pagels officiated.

Pallbearers for Mrs. Hansing were Ernest Schumacher, Oscar Altenberg, Clark Gear, William Hansing, Charles Stoewer and Charles Nagle.