Eunice Strelesky and Albert Lightcap are my grandparents, and figuring out their correct marriage date has been challenging. Both my dad and Uncle Bill told me that their parents married … Continue reading Marriage: Eunice Strelesky and Albert Lightcap
My great-grandmother, Ernestine (Sanders) Strelesky, died of pneumonia, following an attack of influenza, during the Spanish flu pandemic. She was pregnant when she died in Sheridan, Wyoming, on February 5, … Continue reading Death: Ernestine (Sanders) Strelesky
My grandparents Marian Bohnsack and Stanley Davis married in Apple River, Illinois, on August 1, 1941. This was her first marriage and his second. Their wedding announcement appeared in the … Continue reading Wedding Announcement: Marian Bohnsack and Stanley Davis
Herbert Deininger was the oldest son of William and Louisa (Muegge) Deininger, and brother to my great-grandmother Minnie (Deininger) Bohnsack. In November 1911, he was accidentally shot by his three-year-old … Continue reading Herbert Deininger Dies of Bullet Wound
Grandma Davis was a collector of newspaper articles about family members and people that she knew. Thank goodness for that – these gatherings have provided invaluable guidance for me while … Continue reading Marriage: Mildred Berryman and James Horan
When Jack Strelesky lived in Sheridan, Wyoming, he ran a taxidermy shop. On April 6, 1917, fire damaged the shop. An article discussing the fire ran in the Wyoming State Tribune-Cheyenne State Leader on April 6, 1917.
Transcription of article:
Taxidermist’s Shop Damaged By Fire
Sheridan, Wyo., April 6 – Damage to the extent of about a hundred dollars was caused by a fire which started in the loft of the building on East Fourth street, occupied by the taxidermy shop of J.J. Strelesky last night. It was discovered shortly before 9 o’clock and an alarm turned in. The blaze was soon brought under control after the arrival of the department. The principal damage was done to rugs and hides stored in the loft. It is supposed that the fire originated from a spark from the chimney igniting a rug which had been cleaned with gasoline during the day.
Sarah Sanders was the sister of my great-great grandfather, Ernest Vincent Sanders. She was born about 1860 in Galena, Illinois, and died on Christmas Eve 1937 in California. Her obituary was published in the Freeport Journal-Standard on December 31, 1937.
Transcription of obituary:
Mrs. Sarah Hansing, Galena
Galena, Ill., Dec. 31 – Funeral services for Mrs. Sara Sanders Hansing, who died in California Christmas eve, were held yesterday afternoon at 4 o’clock in the Uehren and Furlong funeral chapel. The Rev. T.J.F. Pagels officiated.
Pallbearers for Mrs. Hansing were Ernest Schumacher, Oscar Altenberg, Clark Gear, William Hansing, Charles Stoewer and Charles Nagle.